Director of Research
1989: Specialized in Pharmacological and Physiological Sciences.
1983: Degree in Biological Science at University of Pisa
2017-Today: Delegate of MUR in the Joint Programming Initiative “a Healthy Diet for a Healthy Life” (JPI HDHL)
2012-2016: Member at the PhD School of Quality of Food an Human Nutrition at Foggia University
2009-Today: Head of IBBA-Pisa Section
2007-2012: Member of the PhD School of Physiology-Pharmacology-Toxicology Molecular and Cellular of Siena University
1998-2011: Chairman of the Biologists Scientific Association of Tuscany
1992-1994: Visiting-Researcher at the Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics”, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
1990-Today: Researcher and Senior Researcher at IMD-CNR, IFC-CNR and IBBA- CNR
1983-1990: Research contract at the Institute of Mutagenesis and Differentiation (IMD)- CNR
- Studies on the biochemical and molecular regulation of the xenobiotic metabolizing enzyme system: cytochrome P450 enzymes, detoxifying enzymes (glutathione transferase, UDP-glucuronyl transferase) and antioxidants (catalase, superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, glutathione reductase etc.). These enzymes play an important metabolic role to all drugs and natural chemicals (plant secondary metabolites etc..) and synthetic (additives, preservatives, pollutants etc.) that can reach our body by food. These studies permit us to evaluate the protective and/or toxic effects of the synthetic chemicals (drugs) and natural chemicals.
- Nutraceutical studies of natural chemicals found in plants and foods in the prevention of oxidative damage using animal model (pig, rat, mouse).
- Measurement of total antioxidant capacity and of the content of bioactive molecules on the food.
- Nutrigenomics and functional foods.
- Studies of interaction: (nutraceutical-drug, nutraceutical-nutraceutical, nutrient-drug, pollutant-additive). The system used for this type of study is mainly that of cytochrome P450 enzyme system and phase 2 enzymes.
- Knowledge of laws governing food claims and procedure for the approval of new claims.